There are many meta programs, but the following are a few of the most important. Each is a binary choice – that is, attention is focused on one or the other. Meta Programs are neither good nor bad outside some specific context. They are not a form of personality typing. In general, a person benefits from having increased access to, and choice about both sides of the following pairs.
- Toward vs. Away-From: Attention is directed either toward what is wanted or away from what is not wanted.
- Internal Reference vs. External Reference: Attention is directed to internal processes or external processes (including people, objects, etc.).
- Big Chunk vs. Little Chunk: Attention is directed to the big picture or small details.
- Options vs. Procedures: Attention is directed to selecting from options or following procedures.
- Match vs. Mismatch: Attention is focused on what is the same or what is different.